Thursday, June 3, 2010

Peachy Keen & Berry Happy Memories

It was straight out of a movie. The strawberry stand on the side of a two lane road with a sign that read "Fresh Strawberries. $3 a pint." Born and raised in Arizona I couldn't believe my eyes. Fresh berries! Grandma would buy a flat and back to her home we would go, knowing what was on the menu for breakfast that week.

Her southern Oregon ranch was at least 100 acres and I spent every summer of my childhood there. "I'm trying!!!" I yelled at my sister Sarah as she told me to reach further to grab the best looking plum on my Grandma's tree. "Got it!" I can still remember it....I would climb down and we would sit on the wood post fence and eat together, two sisters best friends. During the day we would play in the barn, climbing on bales of hay, picking wildflowers, playing with farm animals or catching butterflies in jars which grandma always made us let go.

With my childhood behind me I am creating all new memories. Brad & I headed out to Schnepf Farm this past weekend for their annual Peach Picking! :) A huge box of peaches & a LONG car ride later..

"What are we going to do with 13 pounds of peaches?" I paused to think how to answer my husband's question.

"I am going to make a peach pie, maybe two peach pies." Good answer.

"Have you ever made a pie?" Pause......."No." Bradly just looked at me and smiled.

No comments: