Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Tuesday Night

I am thankful. So very thankful.

It's not the first time she had called me because she needed help with her car, she could call me a hundred times and I would still never care. Her voice, it was shaky but calm sounding, almost eerie, but she was there, on the other end Ashley.....I was in a bad car accident.....can you and Brad come?

My heart started to beat faster.....

Where are you?

Are you okay?

What happened?

How bad?

Are you hurt?

....I'm so sorry....we are on our way.

Out the door, in the car, stopped at a red light that seemed like 30 mins long, and onto the freeway.

We exited the freeway, pulled onto the road....oh no, police.....everywhere......red flares....fire trucks......where is she?

I jumped out of the car first, in a panic, there she was, my beautiful baby sister, standing on the opposite corner. We waited for the light to turn red, the white "walk" symbol to light up and ran across the street. You couldn't miss it, in the middle of the intersection surrounded by glass but I saw it, what had been her car. It was totaled, she was t-boned by a SUV that had ran a red light. Parts of her car scattered everywhere, airbags blown, the car was completely smashed. I looked at her again as she stood, holding her left arm, bruising across her chest and face, but there she stood.

A foot to the left and she could have been gone. Gone.

After the police report, after the car was towed, we walked back to our car and sat. Thank you god, thank you god, thank you so much. I couldn't stop hugging her, just telling her that I was sorry and I loved her.

After a trip to the ER the night {or early morning} ended with Hannah on my couch, eating ice cream, with ice covering her back, neck, chest and arms.

We are grateful to God, so very grateful.

Because you never know what tomorrow might hold, we should always act upon love, grace and forgiveness. These values don't have to come only on the mornings when you wake up on the right side of the bed. They should come all the time.

Life is short. Give the people you love a big hug and tell them you love them because you never know what tomorrow holds.

Thank you for reading my blog, being a part of what I do! I LOVE my readers!!!!!

1 comment:

Teri B. said...

oh my gosh, ashley. i just got chills reading this post. thank goodness your sister is okay. we've also recently had our fair share of "wake up calls" that life is precious. big hug to you.