Thursday, August 12, 2010

After The Wedding

I woke up the next morning, opened my eyes, and there it was, my wedding dress, lying alone on a oversized chair in the middle of our suite at Royal Palms.

Wait, wait, wait {rub my eyes, refocus} it can't be. Could it be? My wedding is over?

I could see the bottom of my dress was a little dirty, on the floor next to it my shoes laid on their side, an empty bottle of champange on an end table, and, oh my, a wedding ring, on my finger.

At almost the same time that a huge smile came to my mouth tears began to fill my eyes. It was over. The day I had waited my entire life for was now in the past. The best thing I have ever done was marry my husband, but to let go of the "wedding day dream" well, that is totally different.

I was a Mrs. no longer a Miss., I was a bride not a bridesmaid. I was someone's partner for life!! Being the overachiver I am, I was on a mission, to be the best wife I knew {or could learn} how to be.

The wedding is a perfect way to kick off a marriage, but you also have to learn how to maintain! We started attending a group called Caring Families at our church a few months after we said "I do". It has been an amazing way to meet married friends, get involved and to give some real meaning to our *new* relationship.

I am not saying a church group is for everyone {it was right for us} but I am saying that finding a way to get involved in life as a couple is for everyone! What kind of wedding planner would I be if I didn't hit on the topic of marriage?! I help make marriages happen. *smile*

Our church asked us to a part of a little demo video for our group and we had so much fun making it! Soooooo, since you are here learning about me, I thought I would share it with you!!!

Marriage is what you make of it! Carpe Diem!

1 comment:

Ljenks01 said...

Wow, Ashley that hit the spot. I did that exact thing the morning after my honeymoon. I woke up next to Mike and I cried. I was so bummed that my wedding was over because it was so much fun and suddenly I realized I was a wife. I have obviously never regretted a second of my marriage because I LOVE being married but that morning after was emotional and I thought no one knew what I what was talking about.